Latest Job Opening at British Council Nigeria: Accountant October, 201…
The British Council is the UK’s worldwide organisation for cultural relations & educational alternatives. We create pleasant information & understanding between the persons of the UK & different nations. We do that by making a constructive contribution to the UK & the nations we work with – altering lives by creating alternatives, building connections & engendering belief.
We work with over 100 nations the world over in-the fields of arts & tradition, English language, education & civil society. Each yr we attain over 20 million persons face-to-face & above 500 million persons online, through broadcasts & publications. Founded in 1934, we’re a UK charity ruled by Royal Charter & a UK public physique.
British Council is recruiting to fill the stand beneath:
Job Title: Accountant (Maternity Cover)
Contract sort: Fixed Term (till June 2020)
Job Category: Finance
Role Type: Advisory, Policy & Expertise
Pay Band: Pay Band 4
Report to: Senior Accountant – Nigeria
- The publish holder is a maternity cover & shall be a member of a workforce of accountants answerable for the top to finish accounting course of in Nigeria together with month, quarter & yr finish shut.
- The position holder will guarantee constant, correct & sturdy monetary accounting expertise in step with usually approved accounting rules & corporate insurance policies. This is a support position inside the Financial Control operate.
Function & Geopolitical Overview
- The Finance operate is structured alongside practical strains with the objective of embedding the ‘three strains of defence’ mannequin at its coronary heart, clearly separating the monetary management (1st line) & threat & assurance (2nd line) features, guaranteeing the integrity of our results & the power of our controls. This will enable the organisation to focus extra simply on business resolution making, strategic planning, budgeting & forecasting on the premise of correct month-to-month results.
- The SSA Business Plan units out aspiring development targets for each the variety of persons we are going to work with & the earnings that we’ll generate. We count on to be extra worthwhile, reinforcing monetary sustainability. At the identical time, we objective to persist to ship a step-change in-the high quality & performance of the British Council’s Finance operate. This shall be achieved by means of extra constant average of monetary reporting enabling extra knowledgeable resolution making & meet up with the requirements demanded by exterior stakeholders.
- The organisation will attain this by fitting more and more environment friendly & business in its method while sustaining its public service ethos & charitable scope.
Internal Operating Context – Regional
By 2050 the inhabitants of Sub Saharan Africa shall be 2 billion persons, with the bulk residing in an city atmosphere. The area can have a center lesson the scale of Europe. 70% of the inhabitants is beneath the age of 25, & this demographic will develop at 15% yr on yr for the following 10 years. Generally the area is fitting extra politically unchanging. There are on fair 50 elections annually, a lot of that are extra Accessible & obvious than prior to. The majority of nations in SSA are growing economies. Gender inequality stays & life for women & ladies on the continent stays difficult.
While financial development is meaningful, it comes from a low base. Income per capita has doubled & overseas debt ranges have halved since 2000. Aspirations to develop into center earnings nations as written in nationwide development plans in-the subsequent 10 years are hopeful. The World Bank longer view forecasts that ‘nearly all’ African nations shall be center earnings by 2050. Across the area government priorities concentrate on financial development, education & skills, & youth employment. The alternative & problem for prosperity & security is the inhabitants explosion, assembly aspirations of a youthful continent. Critical to that is enhancing the effectivity & effectiveness of the English & Exams companies throughout the area. Two main international change initiatives to extend the effectiveness of those operations shall be carried out in SSA over the following 2-Three years.
The post-holder will (throughout operations in Nigeria):
- Complete all monetary duties needed as a part of the interval finish closing activities, supporting the Senior Accountants, funds managers & SBU leads on correct & finish monetary shut in the course of interval finish.
- Provide support as needed on accounting transactions & changes (accruals, deferrals & provisions), together with Intercompany accounting.
- Provide support as needed with guide journals & off-system funds requests & guaranteeing accuracy & compliance with pertinent insurance policies.
- Assist with reconciliation of all pertinent accounts & be certain that that is accomplished to corporate requirements.
- Assist Senior Accountant with preparation of native tax submissions & different statutory returns.
- Complete Travel & Expenses audits as per coverage addressing points in a promptly method.
- Assist Senior Accountant with provision of data to inside / exterior auditors.
- Assist in-the implementation of audit suggestions.
- Assist Senior Accountant on the implementation of the Income Recognition & Reconciliation Tool in assigned places
- Responsible for guaranteeing integrity of money assortment course of.
- Responsible for guaranteeing integrity of shoppers reimbursement course of.
- Support the earnings reconciliation course of by extracting pertinent reviews.
- Ensure compliance with treasury coverage.
- Submit pertinent paperwork to native financial institution as requested together with financial institution mandates updates.
Regional & Functional Team Working:
- Contribute to making sure the insurance policies, procedures & methods are delivered with integrity.
- Work carefully & successfully as a part of the regional & international finance groups.
- Actively support equality and variety & work to the British Council’s EDI coverage always.
- Regional Financial Accounting workforce
- Shared Services Centre
- Corporate Finance
- Country admin workforce
- SBU Leads & Project Teams
- Country Customer Services workforce
- Bank relationship supervisor
- Tax authorities
- Passport necessities/ Right to work in nation – All candidates must have a pre-existing legal status to reside & work in Nigeria. British Council will facilitate / sponsor visa applications & work permits.
Assessment stage: Shortlisting
- Direct contact or on the other hand managing workers working with children? – No
Assessment stage: N/A
- Notes: Some journey could also be needed however shouldn’t be anticipated to be meaningful.
Min Required Experience:
Minimum / Essential:
- Fluency in written & spoken English: Shortlisting applicants will both reveal they’ve met the needed average by means of presentation of an agreed English language certificates or on the other hand shall be needed to participate in the APTIS take a look at & reveal a B1 level of English proficiency.
Assessment stage: Shortlisted & interview
Minimum / fundamental:
- Bachelor’s degree in any numerate program of study.
- Fully suited with a recognised accounting board e.g ACCA, ACA and so on
Assessment stage: Shortlisting
Role Specific Knowledge & Experience
Minimum / Essential:
- Highly organised & deadline oriented.
- High level of accuracy and a focus to element.
- Proven accounting expertise.
- Experience of an ERP system.
- Above fair information of Microsoft excel
- Experience working with SAP
Assessment stage: Shortlisting &/or on the other hand Interview
British Council Core Skills
- Analysing Data & Problems (Level 1): Is systematic – Breaks down issues into an inventory of duties to be performed & decides on applicable motion.
- Communicating & Influencing (Level 2): Relates communications to condition – Displays excellent listening, writing & talking skills, setting out sane arguments clearly & adapting language & form of communication to satisfy the wants of distinct persons/audiences.
- Managing dangers (Level 1): Follows excellent practices – Demonstrates understanding of threat management and administrators insurance policies & procedures & document of following them.
- Planning & Organising (Level 1): Is methodical – Able to plan personal work over quick timescales for routine or on the other hand acquainted duties & processes.
- Managing People (Level 2): Supervises a insignificant workforce – Supervises a insignificant workforce of individuals doing comparable jobs to ship quick time period duties to agreed high quality & time requirements.
- Financial Reporting & Compliance (Level 1): Understand & apply extensive compliance requirements. Understand core parts of monetary statements & reviews.
- Professional Accounting Standards (Level 1): Apply accounting rules to precisely document monetary transactions & preserve applicable supporting documentation.
- Transactional Accounting & Closing (Level 1): Understand & apply the British Council’s accounting practices. Understand & apply account reconciliations.
Assessment stage: Shortlisting AND Interview
British Council Behaviours
- Being Accountable (ESSENTIAL): Delivering my finest so as to meet my commitments.
- Connecting with Others (ESSENTIAL): Making routine alternatives to discern others higher.
- Making it Happen (ESSENTIAL): Delivering clear results for the British Council.
- Working Together (ESSENTIAL): Establishing a genuinely widespread purpose with others.
Assessment stage: Interview
- Creating Shared Purpose (ESSENTIAL): Communicating and fascinating photograph of how we are able to work collectively.
- Shaping the Future (ESSENTIAL): Looking for tactics wherein we are able to do issues higher.
Assessment stage: Required for the position however not assessed in the course of the application stage
Note: In your application form, please clearly clarify the way you meet the fundamental & fascinating skills, qualification & expertise standards talked about in-the particular person specification part of the position profile. This will help us decide your match for the position & enhance your application’s possibilities of success.
If any firm or on the other hand recruiter calls for cash from you, please report back to us promptly. View tips on how to detect imitation recruiters/firms Here